Saturday 22 March 2014

A Week in Fluoroscopy

This is the equipment used in my placement hospital, the Siemens Artis Zee

Stardate: 91823.58

It's that time again: placement! And for week one, I was placed in Screening (AKA Fluoroscopy); I was supposed to be in A&E, but it was changed at the last minute. If you didn't already know what fluoroscopy is, it's basically an imaging technique that uses real-time moving images of the internal structures.

The equipment I got the chance to learn to use properly was the Siemens Artis Zee Multi-Purpose, and it's controls, although they look confusing, take very little time to get used to. It's used in various types of fluoroscopic procedures:
  • Root nerve blocks - an injection that is given close to a nerve as it leaves the spine; usually for sciatica pain.
  • Facet joint injections - an injection of local anaesthetic or steroid which can anaesthetise the facet joint to block pain. Facet joints are small joints between each segment of the spine.
  • Barium enema - an x-ray examination of the large intestine to help diagnose any existing problems affecting that area. The colon is filled with a contrast material containing barium, which is done by pouring the contrast into the rectum.
  • Barium swallow - an x-ray examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract, including the oesophagus, and sometimes the stomach. The patient is asked to drink a suspension of barium sulphate, and the x-ray images are taken during the swallow. This procedure is done in various positions: AP, oblique and lateral, for a 3D assessment.
  • Myelogram - an x-ray examination that uses an injected contrast material to view the fluid-filled space (subarachnoid space) between the spinal vertebrae. 
I witnessed these examinations, and there are more that are carried out on the department. I certainly got used to wearing lead rubber aprons, and quickly learnt to check the apron first, as instead of picking up the lighter 0.25mm apron, I picked up a heavy 0.35mm apron, which made me feel faint after a while! I also started using the thyroid shield, just to be on the safe side.

Despite what everyone first believes about barium enemas, you barely see (or smell) anything, and nearly all fluoroscopic procedures are painless for the patient (the barium mixture patients have to swallow has a pretty nasty after-taste, mind). 

Overall, it was nice to see what the department does, and what this technique involves. It certainly lets you know if you want to go into that sort of speciality, and it does actually seem quite interesting. You certainly see a good variety of patients, too. It's made me start seriously looking into what I want to do post-graduation (still definitely Forensic Radiography) as there are so many options with Radiography!

Until next time guys! Next week I'm in Clinical Skills, so we'll see how that goes.

LLAP!

References

  1. Siemens Artis Zee Multi-Purpose, n.d. photograph, viewed 22 March 2014 <http://usa.healthcare.siemens.com/siemens_hwem-hwem_ssxa_websites-context-root/wcm/idc/groups/public/@global/@imaging/@angio/documents/image/mdaw/mtc0/~edisp/artis_zee_multi_purpose-00068177/~renditions/artis_zee_multi_purpose-00068177~10.jpg>.

4 comments:

  1. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete