Thursday 29 May 2014

First Year Commenting

Bone metastasis of a bronchial carcinoma in the tibia.

Stardate: 92012.11

Today was my spinal tutorial session with my lecturer practitioner/clinical tutor, which ended up turning into a general tutorial session, giving us the opportunity to ask questions on anything we need help with. In the first half we took some x-rays, mainly lumbar spines and pelvic examinations. In the second half, we talked about image commenting, which was one of our final exams, and also makes up part of our clinical portfolio.

Basically, we take an image, any image, and describe what we see. Easy, right? Well, not always, but the process seems simple enough, which goes a little something like this:
  • Check the patient's clinical details - how old are they? What are their symptoms? 
  • Is the image, abnormal, possibly abnormal or normal?
  • Examine the general appearance of the bone
  • Trace the bone's cortex and density for any irregularities
  • Has the trabecular pattern been disturbed?
  • Give a detailed account of the abnormality seen
  • Examine the joint spaces and soft tissue
  • Are there any artefacts on the image?
I'll use the above image as an example, although I don't know the clinical details. Let's say the patient is a 29 year-old male, with severe pain around the tibia, for 3 months.
- The above image is definitely abnormal.
- The bone's cortex has not been disrupted, and the bone density appears normal. The trabecular pattern has not been disrupted.
- There are two radiolucent (the dark patch within the bone) area on the proximal end of the tibial shaft, visible on both projections, on the posterior and anterior tibial aspects.
- The joint space appears within normal limits, and the there is no soft tissue swelling
- There are no artefacts on the image.

This is a basic "comment", and as I found out, this image displays bone metastases.

Bone metastases, is a class of cancer metastases that is the result of primary tumour invasion of bone. Metastasis is the spread of cancer from one organ or part to another. Bone-originating cancers like osteochondroma for example, are rare. These metastases form solid masses, and bone is one of the most common metastasis location. 

Bone metastases can cause severe pain, bone fractures, spinal cord compression, and other major clinical concerns. These symptoms are caused by:
  • acidosis - increased acidity. Osteoclasts (bone cells that reabsorb bone tissue) generate extracellular protons, which lower the pH level.
  • bone restructuring - the uncoupled regulation of osteoclasts and osteoblasts (bone cells that form bone tissue) leads to bone malformation. Malformed bones are unable to withstand normal day-to-day mechanical stresses (e.g. weight bearing), leading to fractures, spinal cord compression and instability.
Anyway, this is post is getting long enough, and I've got dinner to make for myself. I hope this post has given you some insight into how we "examine" an image, in it's most basic form, and it's actually one of the fun parts of being a radiographer. True, there is a lot of terminology to get your head around, but once you have, everything sort of clicks into place! Tomorrow's my half-day and I'm once more in general, so hopefully I'll get the rest of my unaided examinations signed off.

LLAP guys!

References
  1. Bone Metastasis of a Bronchial Carcinoma in Tibia, n.d. photograph, viewed 29 May 2014 <http://www.mevis-research.de/~hhj/Lunge/imabc/BCKnMetb41_2.JPG>.

5 comments:

  1. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Hello Am From The UK , I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor Oyagu who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 weeks with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc Oyagu email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through email address oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or text him on what's app, phone number +2348101755322 Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please share for others to know about the cure for herpes. I'm here to testify on how i was cured from HERPES 1&2 with the use of herbs. I got the herbs from Dr Osato and he gave me instructions on how to use it. I took the herbal product for a week and 5days after which i go for a blood test and the result was Negative. I waited for another two months and retested the result was still negative and my doctor told me I'm completely free from herpes1&2 and this Gladys my heart and i wish to share it for the benefit of those living with herpes1&2 to also get the herbs from Dr Osato and get cured just like me. You can contact Dr Osato on his email: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or his phone number and WhatsApp +2347051705853 also through his website osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com. Dr Osato also have the cure on the following diseases HERPES, HIV, HPV, CANCER, DIABETES, SHINGLES, HSV1&2 and so many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete