Friday 7 September 2012

Starting a Personal Statement...


So, it's about time I began writing my personal statement. I was thinking about it today, and although I've written one before, and it was a successful statement, writing this one seems a much bigger deal. So, I thought I would write a little advice entry, for anyone else who's struggling with their statement.

Plenty of people I've asked are having the same trouble writing theirs. Why? Well, I think it has something to do with how well people can actually sell themselves, yet so little space to do it in and of course, who their audience is. It's like those assignments I did for Health Studies in 1,000 words... it's just not enough! From what I plan, to what I actually write, only the most important stuff goes in! Nobody likes writing a personal statement, but I think my process to writing one isn't half bad. 

To start with:
  • What am I planning to study? (Pretty obvious question, but this helps you focus for the whole statement, I promise you)
  • Why do I want to study it? (Any personal experience, or what interested you in the subject)
  • What skills have I got that link in to studying this? (As I'm applying to be a Diagnostic Radiography student, I'm using this site:  http://www.radiographycareers.co.uk/  to help me.
  • What are my other interests? (Generally, pick the ones that show your versatility. For example, I do cross-stitching when watching TV, play video games, read anatomy books for fun AND do Taekwon-do... and many more, but it was just to show you how varied my hobbies are)
Now, starting, I know, is the hardest part of writing any long piece of writing. But both the start AND the end are really important, as the start gets whoever is reading it interested, and the end  usually helps them to remember it. That's not to the say the middle isn't important! But the start is the reader's "first impression" of you.

Another important thing I can think of to write about this difficult task, is what NOT to do in it:
  • Don't list what you're doing now. Only put in the relevant skills linked to your course. Show how your hobbies and interests would help you succeed on your course. E.g. I play video games and like new gadgets. Radiographers need to be able to adapt to new technologies (as the field is always improving) and they need to be confident when working with it. As I said, it's an example :P
  • Don't be arrogant, and don't tell the university about their own subject. They do teach it and know it pretty well.
  • Be pretty strict with your work and cut out any parts that waffle on too much. It just takes up space where something else could be.
  • Don't mention skills and then not explain what you learnt from them. Anyone can write "I'm a good communicator" but that doesn't have any back up or evidence, does it?
  • Don't bring up anything before GCSE, unless it really is relevant as an anecdote.
  • Don't be vague when talking about interests.
  • This one is obvious: don't exaggerate or lie. If they bring it up in your interview, you'll have a hard time keeping it up.
  • Don't be biased towards one university. This puts off the others you are applying to!
  • This is the most important one: Don't copy someone's else statement! If you are found to have plagiarised someone else's work, it could jeopardise your whole application!

And finally, get somebody to check it when you're done! Of course, check it over yourself, then have a parent, a friend or a tutor check it, too. After they've checked it, check it yourself, again, or have another person check it! I generally get three other people to check mine: my parents (yeah, I'm classing them as a single entity for now), a friend (or if you know somebody who's already applied to university, ask them, too), and then my tutor. Everybody will have a different opinion, but they may see something someone else didn't.

Anyway, this entry is getting long enough! Good luck anybody else who's doing their personal statement. I hope this has helped a little :)

Now to just get my own done.... *sniffle*

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Studying about the key factors while writing for the personal statement you ought to do and make about those of the assumptions that in all respects seems to be true. ucas radiography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personal statements are required by most teaching hospitals from MDs who are applying for residency positions in their chosen medical specialties. This article highlights some of the most common oversights that many applicants make when drafting their medical residency personal statements. therapeutic radiography personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually been more inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I have been long looking for residency personal statement help. Thanks for the do's and don'ts !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this excellent submission!! I enormously loved all tiny bit of it.Cheers for the info!!!!
    read here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi to everyone here! I would like to say thank you about this article also, because it is always good to read well structured information, as it is in this article. And also I would like to add some my thoughts about nhs personal statement. This service is really quite useful for many of those, who are writing many texts and maybe have some issues with punctuation. Actually I am one of such people. And it is really good to have some helper which you can use anytime. So, if someone does not know about it yet, you can google it and find very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great and very useful article, thank you very much for it. And I would like to add that there is such a service as residency personal statement editing which is also used by me while writing any kinds of texts and articles and I would like more people to know about it and to use it in their practice, because it is really very helpful in many situations. So I hope very much that this information will be as helpful to someone as the article which is above. And then we will have our texts much more correct and with good grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not so easy to write the radiography personal statement especially if you are not a professional writer and do not have enough writing and editing skills. But it can be possible with the help of different tips and guides. Also, you can try to find the professional samples that will be written according to the requiremetns and personal statement writing standards and you will be able to perform your own paper according to such samples but with the original content and your own inforamtion and thoughts. Do not lose this chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before you will start writing your radiography personal statement , it can be good to learn the requirements provided by the admission committee. It is important to what kind of papers you need to submit, what format and style they must have and what you should write about. You can use the already written statement of purpose papers which you can find online on different platforms. Or you can try to hire the expert writing services that will help you with the medicine personal statement writing steps. They will also proofread your paper and format it according to the required style.

    ReplyDelete